Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wrapping Up The weak Week

Somehow, somewhere it must be Spring. The birds are obviously confused. They're back to waking me at the crack of dawn, each day they are joined by new voices, but they only chatter (sing?) long enough to wake me up, then the racket (songs?) stops.

The cats too, are back to wanting to go outside first thing in the morning. There are cat races going on that can't be slept through. Litter boxes remain empty as long as you drag yourself out of bed to let them out, only to have to let them back in minutes later because they're surprised it's not Spring as they remembered.

I dutifully called Mom for her birthday yesterday and got the latest rundown. Of course yesterday was also the follow up attorney day. Dad forgot her birthday for the first time in 50 years, though I know he knew about it last week as he presented her with a piece of Meissen porcelain with a happy birthday. She was less than elated. His presents are along the line of what he likes or thinks of value, not really what she might actually desire, like a watch to replace the one she lost in Europe last year.

(Somehow that reminds me, Mom told me that she just loves StW, "he's such a nice man -long pause- and you deserve it too." Whatever that means. I told him he has my parents totally bamboozled.)

Ger spent more time with them after the attorney's appointment, repairing more little things around the house, spending time. I know this because she told me she feels guilty that he's taking time off work to do things for them, like he's some college kid needing to work every hour to pay the rent, rather than a skilled craftsman, already retired with a full pension, and working at a craft he loves under terms he made. Sheesh.

It seems that Dad will be coming to visit (assuming he agrees) in a few weeks when BossFroc takes her next week long vacation. It's Mom's plan, I'm assuming she'll discuss this with Ger, to go through all Dad's paperwork at that time. Apparently not much gets accomplished with Dad hovering, and it's long past time this should have all been done.

Taking a lesson from all this, I have decided to clean out my bedroom, which has been sort of like sleeping in a storage room ever since the kitchen remodeling. I mean really, who needs a file cabinet in their bedroom?? I do not want my kids having to clean up after me to the extent we'll be cleaning up after my parents, a task that seems to be falling mostly on Ger (sorry!) because of his proximity. So while that's my goal this weekend, I've decided to go the extra mile and actually redo the room, take all the rest of my things out and and get the room ready for my Dad's visit.....which means I'm going to try to move into StW's room again. Always wishing my stay becomes permanent, his agenda for this weekend includes bed shopping. We're thinking if the bed was more comfy, bigger, better, whatever, maybe it will work out this time. Personally, I think it's about window placement and snoring, but he does need a new bed so I suppose it won't hurt to look.

Last night StW and I went out to dinner, adventurously trying out a new restaurant and cuisine at a restaurant touted to be "Chicago's best Indian Restaurant." I honestly have never had Indian cuisine and so cannot account for why I thought I didn't like Indian cuisine. Between the two of us, we got a taste of a variety of things. Like all the sushi I have tried, I can now unequivocally and without hesitation, after all, I have TASTED it, say that I do not like Indian food and will never eat it again. But, heck, at least we tried something new and actually left the house, which alone was a major accomplishment this week as I can't even describe my moods as a "funk."

D graced us with his presence long enough to grab meds, ask if I would drive him down to W's (no) and show me the blown glass pipe his on again off again GF gave him for his birthday. I'm surprised he handed it to me after the bong smashing incident of years gone by. He called and had W come pick him up and did not stay long enough to take out the trash or recyclables, which were stacked up right in front of the door and which he had to practically step over in order to leave.

So. It's sort of a weekend of chores and errands. I am on call and need to stop at the office to check messages, labs and med refills. Maybe I'll stop across the street at Borders to pick up a couple of books recommended by MM. I might as well get started on one now that I've actually started and finished one complete book in a reasonable amount of time.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Moves Mountains said...

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a day when I can get out with my camera..I can't believe how cold it is!

Is Ger the brother who was not speaking to your father? Seems your attitude and acceptance has reached him as well, how nice to see that you are sharing the work.

I like your idea of separate rooms, although I'm still at the separate home stage..:)..and your mother is right..StW is a nice man..it's what he is silent on that I like. He commands a certain kind of respect, just because of how he is.

Exactly how I feel about Japanese and Tai...:)

Wissh said...

Actually, both brothers spoke to my Dad more than I did (which, after all, was not at all) but Ger probably less so, and he certainly didn't see his behaviors as illness, which, although that's changed now makes it no less frustrating to him. Giz has spoken to them all regularly as they have raised his kids.
Yeah, separate rooms is the way to go, but I see some bunking up necessary so visitors like Dad have a room and bed rather than the sofa-bed to sleep on.
If StW is so nice, it's taken a good 10 years of training. =)