The Ides of March.
Today starts the getting ready phase of our next trip to NY, which is on Wednesday. The notebook I started to document everything has many filled pages. Somehow I have managed to become the Go To person whenever something happens, however seemingly minor to me, it's a big deal to my parents.
It will be a big trip, I think. I am going with living wills, health care proxies, handicapped parking forms, and at least the intention to talk dad out of driving. I intend not to force the issue however, as his physician is not in agreement that he is in a place where he needs to have that restriction quite yet. (So maybe he needs a GPS in his car so we can find him again.)
J will be going with me. I know he needs a break and can use the getaway, even if it is with his mother to visit his grandparents. He has some friends who still live there so I'm sure he'll spend some time visiting with them. Like D during our last trip, he says he'd prefer to spend the night at Oma and Opa's house rather than at his own Dad's, who lives in the same small town.
I am anxious to see how much of a change there is in my Dad, if any, since my visit a month ago. I'm also concerned that I will not be able to make an April trip. Not only will financing monthly flights become an issue, but Ethel is having a knee replacement in April and will be away from the office for about 2 months. So far no one that has called about our Help Wanted ad has managed to show up for the interview they scheduled.
In May, if God's in his heaven and the crick don't rise, D will be graduating from High School. As of right now, the plan is for my parents to come visit us at that time. We'll see.
Speaking of my parents visiting, the house is so messy. I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that. Against my better judgment, a few months ago, I let the housekeeper go because J and GF said they would do it and could use the money. He had legal bills, she needed a car, blah, blah, blah. That lasted about 3 or 4 cleanings. I'm sure it looks easier than it is, or I'd still be doing it myself. The house is huge and inhabited mostly by slobs who don't care about hairy sinks and sticky floors, and by those who do care but are past their mopping prime.
I'm almost caught up with In Treatment on HBO. I wasn't initially sucked in the first week so I fell behind, but that changed a week or two into the series, so I went back and started watching them back to back as is my wont. LOST of course is incredibly exciting this season as questions are answered each episode, but many mysteries remain. I am so pathetic, Thursday is my favorite day of the week now. Next week's episode will be the last until the end of April, whatever will I do?!
I haven't updated because I am trying to distract myself with working the program and staying sane, with taking care of myself, rather than focusing, which usually means I'll log on just to whine or complain or obsess about D, who is acting out and very much on the radar these last few days/weeks/months. While I am not even close to whatever will be will be, I am trying very hard, sometimes succeeding.
Other thoughts: Spring definitely is in the air. The snow is still not all melted here but it's getting warmer and lighter and there are occasionally bird sounds. Retarded birds, but birds nonetheless. The cats are staying out longer (longer still when they're catnapped) and litter boxes are staying clean longer. It will be interesting to spend my first birthday in more years than I can remember with my parents. The same for Easter.
Happy weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
A couple of data points from personal experience:
1.Your father may appear to be in better shape when you are there than when it's life as normal. New and novel experiences seem to stimulate memory. (Balancing this out is your mother's probable denial of how bad off he is the rest of the time)
2. First thing in the morning is the best time to try to have a conversation that involves decision making on his part. The symptoms tend to get worse as the day goes on.
Thinking of you and hoping you remember to take care of yourself first.
Molly has some good points.
I am so happy that you and Mom and Dad are spending time together.
It warms my heart. I hope D graduates. I remember with C, having to wait until the very last minute to find out that she graduated by the skin of her butt! I know B will never cause me that kind of stress. Oh wait, never say never. You would think I'd learn.
Have an awesome trip my Dear!!
A good housekeeper is hard to find. In Treatment, eh? I should check that out. I'm now caught up on Lost...the next episode is supposed to be quite a cliffhanger.
Think how quickly your relationship with your parents has changed. It is amazing, and wonderful.
Post a Comment