Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Highs and Lows

Somewhere or other I keep promising to update, but I've become really inconsistent and can't seem to drag myself in to write, though I try to keep up and read the bloggings of my friends.

I've been reading -a book even- and have enjoyed that in a way I haven't in a long time. Having airport SNAFUS that caused us to be traveling 12 hours and through North Carolina en route from Albany to Chicago, a flight that usually takes under 2 hours, helped that along.

My Dad is declining, noticeable even in the month since my last visit. There are many happy, memorable moments tucked away though, and the reconnection with my brother during the many hours we spent together was a wonderful bonus.

As a family reconnecting, lots of talks were had, lots of decisions were made, lots of plans put into action. We saw their family attorney and they will go back on Friday to read and sign everything he'll have legally drafted up by then.

On a personal note, climbing back into the womb is an awesome thing. I even felt physically better while there. I don't know if it was the bed there, being away from work, or being an adult in the presence of my parents, or having Daddy adore me and Mom turn to me, or the absence of you-know-who adding unbelievable stress to my life (I'll pick all of the above) but even my back felt better; not once was I on a heating pad.
__________

StW is having eye surgery this afternoon to cauterize some bleeders in the retina due to his Diabetes.
__________

D turned 18 on Saturday. At 12:05 AM he celebrated by buying his first legal pack of cigarettes. Presumably sometime during daylight he got his lip pierced. This is apparently the adulthood he'd been looking forward to.
__________

W is buying a new condo in Chicago.
__________

J enjoyed his break and caught up with his old friends in NY, some of whom traveled a bit to get there to see him. He spent a lot of time with A and we all got to meet her baby, now 6 months old.
__________

April will be a weird month and I'm sure I won't get to NY. BossFroc is going on vacation for 2 nonconsecutive weeks and Ethel is going out on leave to have surgery and will likely be gone about 2 months. I have hired both a Medical Assistant and a Receptionist, but that means lots of training in a very short time. I see lots of work hours in the near future, lots of on call time too.
__________

51 feels no different than 50, and inside neither feel different than 25. (If only the damn mirror and scale would lie!) Spring thus far feels no different than winter either.

Last night I finished the first season of In Treatment and wonder what they have planned, if anything, next.

Okay, an update in the can, now back to work.
__________

UPDATE:

StW's surgery went fine. The other eye gets done in two weeks.

My brother is awesome. He stepped up to the plate, made the decision to play, set boundaries, and I know HE will stick to them. He will be doing the POA thing. It'll be hard for my parents, Dad especially, at first, but I hope they'll come to accept that Ger's way of cleaning up the (financial) mess and liquidating is the right way. We were all on the same page last week, but we have a feeling that as words turn to action it won't be as easy as it sounds.

Oh, and I may have gotten a speeding ticket while we were heading to the airport to catch a plane that never left the ground!
I'll bet J was glad I was driving!


5 comments:

Molly said...

LOL about D's first acts of adult-hood. Way to show your independence, D! A little over a week until my baby turns 18. I suspect a tattoo is in the works for her. It certainly beats moving out and paying rent on your own, buying your own car, all that stuff. Nothing adult about that, nope.

swamprad said...

Well, if you want to go back in April, I say screw the job and go for it. Otherwise, go back in early May. You deserve it, and not only is it therapeutic for you, it brings joy to your parents. Again I say, you deserve it.

WHAT BOOK?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Cigarette smoking and lip piercing. John smokes but hasn't tattooed or pierced, though his closest friends have. Don't sweat stuff like that. He is (presumably) graduating, he is going to college, he is not in jail, things are peachy!

51, it's the new 31.

Hugs...

Wissh said...

D got his tattoo, and other piercings, early. I'm actually surprised he waited for this one.
Nope, no other, more traditional, signs of adulthood. On the other hand, I haven't seen him more than a few minutes since last Wednesday when I left for NY, so who knows. Maybe he's working night shift. ;)
MHW should be interesting tomorrow.

Wissh said...

Well, I'd love to say screw the job. Honest. Some days even more than others. (I think I'll go edit in my job as one of those issues.) But I don't think my financial house of cards could stand the hit of halving the household income. Plus there are airfares and tuition loans, bread, milk, mustard.....
I just finished reading The Red Tent. I think you're man enough, you want I should send?
Hugs back. Ooh, I can't wait to see your garden photos.

swamprad said...

Hahahaha, I said screw it, not quit it!!

I actually already have a copy of The Red Tent, haven't read it though. I'll add it to the looming stack of books staring at me on my bedside table...

:heart: or something like that.... ;-)