Friday, March 7, 2008

Snippets UPDATED

Why am I off today? Because I have to work tomorrow morning. I was half tempted to go into the office anyway, to get ready for Monday and make it a paper day, but then reason returned and I decided to actually take advantage of a day off and take. the. day. off!

So I've run errands. This morning I wore my new flannel pajamas to drop D off at school. They are men's gray with white stripes. StW calls them my Auschwitz pajamas, and suggested perhaps I shouldn't be driving around in them, especially with a donut on the car and a flat in the trunk, in case I hit a pothole and need to call AAA or maybe he was afraid the fashion police would stop me. Me, I figured what the heck, I'm long past getting someone to change my flat through batting of lashes.

I have spent the last couple of week-day days off working on my dad's health care issues. Yesterday, via fax, I received a copy of his most recent labs and the MRI of his brain. Then I spent time on the phone with my brother, strategizing. Today I have spent considerable time on the phones with doctors and medical offices, trying to get an appointment for Dad with an Endocrinologist (unbelievably hard to find there) and when I finally lined up a few to call, they were either booking out into the next decade, or didn't accept his insurance.

Finally, some poor MD who happened to answer his own office phone because he was there doing paperwork on a day the office was closed, was held prisoner on the phone as I told my tale of woe. Much to his further misfortune, when he asked how I got his name, I was honestly able to answer that I was a nurse and we'd once had mutual patients, and he responded by taking my name, my dad's name, and asking me to call his office on Monday to
"see what we can do." Trying to book a doctor's appointment, where I live, during the week of Holy Thursday and Good Friday would be no problem at all, just avoid Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah, but in the Catskill Mountains of NY, it seems Easter week is a short work week. All this from this same doctor who suggested the following week might be more convenient. ("Sorry, I already have flights booked.")

Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

__________

I love the 2 back to back episodes of LOST on Thursdays. The first is really last week's episode (for those of us with attention span issues) but the bonus is the pop up crib sheets on the bottom of the screen. They give hints, refresh one's memory, and pay homage to -mostly- scientists whose names have been assigned to characters (just in case this escaped our notice). This week I also have a new dilemma: the end of the show left me almost liking Ben. One must not like Ben!! But for awhile now I've noticed his acting ability, and yesterday he actually brought a little *tiny* smile, much to my chagrin!

__________

The big news this week, for any football fan, has got to be the retirement of Brett Favre. 17 years. Green Bay must be in mourning. Everyone else likely wishes they had had him as quarterback all these years. The Bears had something like 23 quarterbacks during that time! Green Bay is our arch enemy, (the only good thing about our past season was that we beat Green Bay both games) but who doesn't love this future Hall of Famer, who STARTED EVERY SINGLE GAME FOR 17 YEARS?! If I had the opportunity I would thank Brett Favre for 17 years of excellent football.

Brian Griese went to the Buccaneers, Rex Grossman got a 3 million dollar, one year contract. (S H O O T me now.) Booker is coming back to Chicago, a few other changes were made, I'll spare you, but the second biggest news OF NOTE, was that StW does not have nfl.com bookmarked on HIS computer! Imagine! (I know he thinks I'm nuts.)

__________

Guitar Hero III is likely going to be the straw that breaks my fragile back. It isn't even the music, as anyone who has a kid playing this knows, it's the manic tapping sounds on the guitar itself. Who would have thought that could possibly be more annoying than hearing the kid try to beat the Devil on Expert for the gazillionth time? (Which he's done now, BTW.)

__________

GROUP was exceptionally great this week, raucously funny, (picture both therapists knowing all the lyrics to HAIR, then going from repeating every other verse to actually breaking into song together and singing the whole thing) and out loud laughter is always such good medicine, to very serious when we were down to business, to supportive and helpful. Every week I think I want to resign, every week I know it's one of the few really good things I do for myself. (There's a waiting list to get into Groups.)

__________

Today is cold and snowy and sunny all at once. I've already packed my coat away. It's March, the month of Spring. I am refusing to wear a coat. Most days I just look like an idjit now though, but whatever!

__________

Have I mentioned that D's post secondary school has contacted us and in spite of himself he is ready for admission as his background check, driver's license check, and high school transcripts, showing a stellar GPA of 1.95 have all passed muster (or been ignored) so the loan application is in the mail, so to speak.



Have a great weekend!

__________

PS: Dad's got the car and has been "missing" all day.

__________

Dad is home and was very happy to speak to me. We talked for about 10 minutes. StW noted afterwards that he LOVES hearing me talk to my Dad. The flip side of that is the deja vu of the old mother / daughter issues creeping in. I hate that there has to be a downside to this newfound and however-long-it-is-it won't-be-long-enough time with my Dad.

__________

NEWSFLASH!

D asked me if I'd like some oatmeal. Not really, but I said sure because I don't think HE'S ever offered to make ME anything, EVER. So he asked if I'd like it hot or cold. (Hot) Milk or water. (Milk) What flavor. (Not blueberry and no mixed ones.) So he made me some peach (instant) oatmeal, brought it to me, then made me taste his (mixed flavors in cold milk, gross.) It was so sweet though. The best part? He didn't want anything! He actually sat and chatted a few minutes, and, get this, asked me personal questions. I mean, not PERSONAL questions, just questions about things normal people would talk about. I know my excitement sounds crazy to some of you, but it was HUGE to me. In turn, I watched him play guitar hero for awhile. In fact, even StW joined us for a bit. D loves an audience.

Sometimes the littlest things make it a great day.


13 comments:

TLS said...

Really enjoying and happy for all of the entry... until the PS... *prayers* my dear... it's got to be petrifying!

<3 & ** hugs **

swamprad said...

I've probably told you this story before, maybe even twice, but I am getting old you know, and it comes with the territory. There are certain stories my father has told me 3 dozen times, each time with delight and total oblivousness that he has told them over and over in the past. But anyway, Jennifer went to USM with Favre, knew him to some extent in the party scene. John was crazy over Favre, collected his football cards, big hero worship going on. So Jennifer tells him, "Oh John, Brett Favre is just coast trash". For years, anytime anyone wanted to get John's goat, just suggest that Favre, despite his achievements, is really just coast trash. This makes me laugh whenever I think about it.
Hey, don't we Spring Forward this weekend???

Wissh said...

Thanks, Tia. He's home.

Wissh said...

Doc, I just found you have a blog here, complete with spam comments! (And a few from us.) And no, you've never told me that story!

Moves Mountains said...

Glad to hear you Dad is home. It's tough when you have to take the keys away, it took my Aunt almost three months before she spoke to my Uncle's doctor.

I hear on you on the guitar tapping. When I was first married, we rented a main floor apartment. Every night around 1 am I was wakened by a constant thump coming from somewhere. It took a week to figure out that the guy who lived above us, worked afternoon shift, then came home to his keyboard, with his headset...I would have preferred the music..:)

My chauffeur outfit is pink flannels with beavers and a cheetah faux fur...lol...

Wissh said...

I want pictures!!

swamprad said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious (about my blogspot, that is). I had no idea, no memory of doing that. 10/5/04 was 2 days after my first Xanga entry, so I guess I was still fooling around with the blog sites, trying to get my feet wet. A lot has happened since then. But best of all are the wonderful people I've gotten know via blogging.

Moves Mountains said...

...soon to be posted...lol

Molly said...

Just when you're ready to kill them they do something so sweet and thoughtful. . .probably explains why the human race has lasted as long as it has.

Wissh said...

...and it only took him 17 years and 2 weeks. The boy is very advanced as you can see.

beadbrat said...

That is sweet about the oatmeal... maybe he is beginning to 'get' it.
Did Dad know what he had been doing during the missing time? And is Mom jealous of you and Dad? Maybe you can find a way to make her feel more loved in the process... I have had to be careful not to stop going to Mom's since Dad passed... even though she is perfectly capable if coming here... I am trying to get her to come visit me instead...

Anonymous said...

Wow sounds like you had a great weekend so far :-)
RYC: You are right. But as a teacher myself and knowing the importance of it GETTING DONE ... yeah whatever Deb.... I will work on it starting Monday ok? I know you are right - and you made perfect sense when you told me it will give them better insight as to what he needs ( a cattle prod in the buut!) but ...yeah it's hard.
Hub and I are tenuously civil .... he bought me a slow cooker. I think he is sucking up.
HUGS Prayers and Love
Debs

pet70 said...

That PJ thing reminds me of an old story... years ago my mother used to drive my dad to the train station so he could get to work, leaving us asleep in our beds in the morning (gee, that would cause big problems, today, wouldn't it? I was the oldest and only 9 at the time). Then one winter morning she took him to the train wearing only her PJ's and a housecoat, stepped out of the car for a moment to kiss my dad goodbye, he ran for the train...and when she tried to get back into the car again she found she was locked out. She had to find a public phone and get a locksmith, terribly embarassed to be caught out like that. She never went anywhere in her PJs again...