Monday, March 3, 2008

Of Mosh Pits

Today I was, shall we say, persuaded, to allow D to borrow my car -his is in the shop, possibly irreparable- to drive to a distant city in a neighboring state to attend a concert of (multiple bands) Horrors. I was hesitant at first, but we bartered and bargained and I gave him the keys. He and his best friend left at 2:30 for a 5 PM show.

By 3:30 my phone rang. They had a flat. Two 18 year old "men" calling mom because of a flat tire?! I wondered how many flats I'd changed in my early years. At any rate, they called Triple A, had the donut put on the car and were back on their way with instructions to maybe avoid some of the potholes.

At 10 PM, the best friend called. He couldn't find D anywhere. If he left the concert to check the car, he couldn't get back in. He wanted me to call the hospitals, as ambulances had already been there twice. I wasn't alarmed though. I have come to trust the little voice in my head and it wasn't sending out adrenaline messengers.

D wasn't answering calls, nor texts. I think his cell phone was dead, a reasonable assumption as he's never off it. The venue's phone answering voice said he'd turn up after the concert and that the other kid's mom had already called. Then that mom called me to let me know her husband was driving up to distant city in neighboring state. I knew the concert would be over before he got there and let her know I wasn't overly concerned. She concurred, but her husband was just "that type" and if he heard from the boys before he got there, well then he'd turn around and drive home. Okay then.

The concert ended at 11 PM. The friend looked around as the place cleared out, then headed for the car where he found D. At 11:45 PM he called me. I spoke with D. His phone was dead. He thinks he broke a rib in the mosh pit when his chest met someone's elbow. (I'm sure he's fine.) The older I get, the less I understand mosh pits, which, in turn, makes me feel old. I like concerts. I like to sit in nice cushy, comfy chairs, assigned seating please, preferably high enough to have an unobstructed view and enjoy music without getting beaten up. (Or going deaf for that matter.) I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

"Mom, why don't you ever just trust me?" If I had a buck for every time I've heard that sentence.


__________

You guys crack me up.
  • Why would he need to know how to change a tire when he can just call Triple A? (He's got until he's 25 before they make him get his own account.)
  • Trust me, he does not have a broken rib. He wouldn't even let me look at it when he got home some time near 2 AM. It was a lame attempt at the sympathy vote. It's worked in the past: J once got a concussion flying off the stage into the mosh pit where it seems no one thought to catch him and he landed on his head. But it doesn't work anymore with the new improved me. If you're going to act like a dumb ass, then you live with the consequences.
  • This attitude works for me at least -ahem- 90% of the time.
  • I love seeing solitaryman back on my blog. Who'd have thought one would miss a name?
  • No, BB, I didn't change it just for you. Though you are worth it.

16 comments:

Molly said...

They. Called. AAA. To. Change. The. Tire?!? I am so glad I have daughters. :)

Of course I still get extra grey hairs whenever they go to concerts where there's going to be moshing. At least YD has the good sense to wear her Doc Martens with the steel toes.

Wissh said...

LOL, yup. I see a lesson coming up. My dad considered it part of learning to drive.
I put the "kids" on my AAA account in case they needed to be towed or had an "emergency." Somehow I never thought 2 of them couldn't manage a flat tire.

beadbrat said...

Hey! I said not to change it on my account, so I hope someone else is the reason! LOL
Geez, at 18 when I got a flat I didn't call my Dad... I changed it! LOL My dad was like yours... before he let me drive the car I bought myself, I had to know how to change a flat, change the oil and flush the radiator... as well as know where to add brake fluid, transmission fluid, wiper fluid and change the wipers!
You are doing good though, all that's happened this weekend, and you can actually talk about it without freaking out! way to go girl!

Solitaryman said...

Broke a rib! J once had his week-old glasses stomped into ground glass in a mosh pit. As for the flat, if I have a flat, I'm calling K because she's got the number of the people to call who will come out and fix it for me.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to run away...very far where no one(but us) can find you. Have you considered the "Witness Protection" program?

I have you bookmarked so I don't have to search anymore.

You say "mosh" Probably that's where I got "posh" Do you think it means the same? Similar?

Wissh said...

Posh and mosh are not even close. Here's how the urban dictionary defines mosh pit: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mosh+pit

While the description is as I understand it, the spelling was so atrocious it distracted me.

Wissh said...

Oh, and thanks for bookmarking me!

Anonymous said...

Avril, had a lovely "Mother's day card this weekend ( yes it was Mother's day here in the UK ) It said " As a mother you never stop worrying over your children there is always a possibility that the may come home again to live"
I loved it!
MikeUK

pet70 said...

What's wrong with AAA? Personally I love knowing that if I get stuck, I have someone to call.,.. but then I don't have a spouse, so maybe that's the difference.

When I had Driver's Ed we had to learn to change a tire.. .from my dad I also learned changing oil, bleeding brakes, bleeding the (hydraulic) clutch, and a number of other things. I've had to change tires in the past and know that I can, but when they put the tires on with those air tools so that you can't budge the lugnuts, it's nice to know that someone will come along who can get them off.

There are just some things it's nice to know you can do if you have to, but know enough about to know you don't WANT to. :-)

Mosh pits - I'm with you, Wissh. I think it's a sign of a generations that's grown up with too much violence all around them.

As for the "Mom, why don't you ever just trust me?", my answer to D would be "Because you've shown me too often that I can't." I always told my daughters that once I caught them out in a lie, it would take a long time for me to ever trust them again, so it was better for tham to tell me the truth, no matter how bad it was, and we'd deal with it. From the older daughter came some very hard truths.. .but I never yelled about it no matter what I thought, we just dealt with it, so that she would always trust ME as well. Trust is a mutual thing.

pet70 said...

Good plan on the Captcha. Once they find you they won't relent unless they're stymied many times over, so as soon as you get spammed put it back on. For now you're under the radar.

TLS said...

YAY! I'm herrreeeee! So, is there anyway to "add a friend" or do I "have" to bookmark everyone I wanna read?

:-D Glad to read you again :)

swamprad said...

In all fairness, changing a tire is pretty complicated on some vehicles. Just getting access to the lug nuts to remove them can require a special tool, and sometimes the jack is in an almost inaccessible storage place.

One morning, I had a flat on the way to work. As I stood on the interstate roadside and wondered how on Earth I was going to change this tire without getting dirty from head to toe, a guy stopped, jumped out of his car, and changed it for me. I felt like a damsel in distress! The worst part was that I had NO MONEY on me, not even a dollar bill. I decided to bluff my way out of it. When he finished, I offered him money, he refused, I insisted several times, he still refused, jumped in his truck and drove away.

I joined AAA this year when I realized that if I broke down, I had no one to call to rescue me except John, who so often doesn't answer his cellphone. That was a sad revelation, and underscores the fact that I wish I had a close friend living in the same
city.

I'm glad D survived the moshing. And I like the "new improved me"!

Molly said...

'Why would he need to know how to change a tire when he can just call Triple A?"
Oh, I don't know, probably because you can change a tire in way less time than it takes for the rescue truck to show up. I'm definitely learning new things about a couple of men here. Such girls!
Agreed, the lug nuts can be pretty tight which is why, whenever you get a new car you replace the L shaped wrench with a + shaped one, and throw in a piece of metal tubing to extend the handle. Lacking that you position the handle so you can jump on it to loosen the nut.,

pet70 said...

Molly... what's up with that comment about being girls? Some of us girls are pretty darned capable... there's a lot of men who should be so lucky. :-)

Wissh said...

I see I'm already behind in commenting!
Tia, welcome!
Doc, I have been a member of AAA since W started driving again after the accident. As they started driving, I have added each kid for emergencies and peace of mind. I, myself, due to my back, can no longer change a tire, I'm sure. But I certainly have changed them.
Pet and Molly, I was being facetious. Of course they should know how to change a tire, frankly I was surprised they didn't learn that at driver's ed. I showed him how to check the oil and fluids, where to put windshield wiper fluid and if it comes up, I can show him how to change the wiper blades too. Unlike most "girls" I took auto mechanics instead of home ec in high school and know (knew) how to change drum brakes too, though I'm not sure when that would have ever come up.
When I talked to the guys about waiting for AAA vs changing a tire themselves, D actually told me "I" didn't have a jack in my car. Wrong! You have to know where to look and what to look for, and Molly, you make an excellent point about the wrenches too. + were much easier than L.

Wissh said...

Mike, happy belated Mother's Day to Avril. I loved that card too....it almost made me shiver!! ; ) I wanted to also comment on TOM, very funny!!
Lastly, I loved the first 4 seasons of Ballykissangel but it seemed to fall apart when Father Clifford and Assumpta left. I still haven't finished it. Does it perk up again?

I'm still getting used to the new commenting routine within my blog, forgive me for responding in a tardy manner.