Saturday, March 1, 2008

March Madness

My March certainly came in like a lion. It started at 12:45 AM with a call from K, who was screeching at me until I was finally fully awake. I had to fumble for my glasses and look at my phone to register who on the other end apparently thought it was okay to call me after midnight to agitate me.

Needless to say, that isn't going to happen again. I need to have given birth to you in order for you to call me and wake me up out of a sound sleep just to bitch at me.

11 comments:

beadbrat said...

crap. I don't like this stupid word verification thing, I just lost my comment cause I forgot to do it...
so what makes your niece think its ok to call at 12:45 when it isn't a medical emergency? I would have put the phone down on a pillow and rolled over... and snored !!
Isn't it nice when the kids start to relate as adults? Child and friend all wrapped in one! Sounds like you had a great visit with him. And maybe if he complains to the brothers, maybe they will shovel the driveway!

pet70 said...

Beadbrat, it's called CAPTCHA-- Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. Basically it's to keep spambots from putting crap in the comments, since CAPTCHA is the one method that bots haven't been able to get around yet. Assuming you use a PC, before you try to post hit Ctrl-A (which highlights everything) and Ctrl-C (which copies everything), and if the comment gets lost when you go to add it, put your cursor in the box and hit Ctrl-V to paste it all back in there. I usually do this whenever I write a longer comment like this one, just in case it times out.

pet70 said...

Wissh, who is K?

And anyone who calls at that hour in the morning, unless someone is dying or close to it, needs to have their lips yanked off. Your kids or husband I can understand, whoever needs to have a new brain put in--their old one is clearly non-functional.

Wissh said...

Beth, I hope Pet's advice helps because you KNOW I wouldn't know how to disable it. Thanks, Pet!

Oh, and K is my niece. She lives with MAD and is the only girl in the family. It seems I'm the lone family member immune to her dubious "charms" and as I told her as much when I was there, I'm sure I'm not on her Top 10 list either.

pet70 said...

I remember the niece, I just got lost on the new "names". :-)

I would not disable Captcha, not these days. Spam attacks are picking up yet again--at least half of my workday lately is dealing with the fallout from spam. I'd like to ban all those who do it from the Web, but until there's worldwide agreement on the need to combat it, it's not going to happen.

As for your niece, she clearly needs to learn a little about manners... since she's an hour ahead of you and that meant she was calling at 1:30am. Apparently she never learned the basics of respect (which, from your earlier descriptions, sounds about right). She would never have survived in my household. My daughters still won't swear in front of me even though I hear them use 4-letter words with their friends from time to time. That's respect. I also tell them it's the last resort of the feeble-minded. :-)

Wissh said...

Funny that you told your daughters that. I told W that just this morning. He read me a column he'd written (over the phone) and it was almost brilliant, very witty, but I felt the profanity actually took away from it rather than enhancing and emphasizing his points. He's actually got an excellent vocabulary (you probably couldn't notice this when you met him) and would have been able to express the required emotions without getting down and dirty.

The little princess missed the handout when brains, empathy and compassion were passed out too, let alone gratitude.

But I doubt she'll be calling me again.

beadbrat said...

Oh I wouldn't want you to disable it... its just another new thing for me to learn... or forget, lol.. and thanks Pet for the lesson... I guess I am never too old to learn something new! So are you in bad with the niece because you are helping with finances and such?

Solitaryman said...

I'm having problems getting used to this new system. In fact, I'm so frustrated, if I had your phone number, I would have called you a few hours ago to bitch about Blogger. But, I can understand your reason for leaving Xanga too. I'm half-thinking about doing the same thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm with beadbrat on this crazy letter verification thing. Are they supposed to be all caps? Or what??. At least Pet70 gave me a reason for this since I never understood it before. Perhaps I should just open an account here so I don't have to go through this typing initials torture. CAPTCHA also differentiates between humans that are older than a "certain"

I must already have "google" account but I'll be darned if I know the password and there was no place for me to send for them to send a reminder.

Anonymous said...

OK...I"M MAD...BUT NOT AT YOU...

SPENDING WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH TIME FOR A SIMPLE COMMENT..HAD TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I would have been pissed too!
*sparkle