I am way too old to be sucked into teenage girl drama, but somehow my mother and niece have managed to do that. I spoke with both of them by calling their house today after Schweetheart declined to answer her cell phone. Her grandmother initially actually tried to keep me from talking to the little darling(!) but after I promised not to yell at her, just to ensure these behaviors aren't going to continue, she put her on.
I let all this go days ago, but today D mentioned that K had texted him that night also.....to tell him she hated his mother. That would be ME. Like he needs further proof his mom sucks! All this over something I didn't do.....but she, K, was led to believe I did. (Long story of family dysfunction, perhaps to be told another day.) Anyway, hopefully it's all been taken care of....and it did serve to remind me why I have been living a long distance away for a long time now, staying out of the usual family machinations.
__________
Dad was an electrician all his life. He managed his money very well also. The light switch in the kitchen and dining room is broken and now the light in the kitchen doesn't work either. Mom finally told Dad that she cannot work in the kitchen without light. Dad finally told Mom that he cannot do it any longer and they would have to hire an electrician. She started to cry as she retold this. I'm sure it was a heartbreaking moment for both of them.
She told me yesterday that she would "keep him at home" as long as she could. -GULP- (I'm doing an excellent job of staying detached, aren't I?)
__________
I've been on call all weekend and until tomorrow evening. I'll go in to the office tomorrow though, to do paperwork and see patients if needed. Is there a lot of strep and influenza going around the rest of the country this season?
__________
StW has a pot of Caldo started. I wish you could smell it through the computer. Mmm!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Kids like K do the things they do because they feel powerless and controlled too much by those around them. Ignore it. What does it really matter to you what she thinks? What matters is what YOU think of yourself.
The other thing to consider here is that we often attract those around us who are in much the same state of mind as ourselves. If you get a lot of troubled people around you, look inside to see what might be in you that's attracting that sort.
I know you've been through a great deal of soul-searching and sorting things out, and I know you still have a journey ahead of you, but as you start to get your internal house sorted out and neatened up, you'll find that all the turmoil dries up and blows away.
I've not noticed strep, but I've heard there's a good bit of flu in MS.. coule be around here, too, but I have so little contact with other people, working from home as I do, that I have no idea. And I don't want to know. :-)
That is certainly a heartbreaking scenario you describe, where your father admits to your mother that he cannot do the electrical work any longer. It makes me feel scared to face getting old alone. Young, healthy and alone is one thing, old, sick and alone is something altogether different.
Caldo? Just googled it, sounds wonderful. I'm all about soup.
Doc, I completely agree. I can't even imagine it and I feel my new found boundaries beginning to wriggle a little.
Marry a nurse.
The first time I ever ate caldo was actually when my friend Suz made it in San Antonio. OMG it was delicious and we never got the recipe and have been trying to find a good one ever since. This one was Rick Bayless' recipe. It was good, but it was GREAT the second day. Yum. (I love soups too.)
Post a Comment