Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dreams and Nightmares

I had a really weird, disconcerting, dream last night. D had no teeth. When I asked him about it, he said he'd pulled them all out. With pliers.

Of course I freaked, and said, "D, I paid all that money for your braces, why would you pull your teeth out?!"

"Chill out, they'll grow back."

"NO THEY WON'T, THOSE WERE THE SECOND SET!"

Luckily I woke up at that point.
__________

One of D's old friends (they ended up going to different high schools) stopped by to show him his new car today: a brand new BMW. That's the neighborhood we live in. Impossible to keep up with the Joneses.
__________

"We're" still working on taxes. We're sitting across the kitchen table from each other as I type; he's doing taxes and sighing a lot. I'm hiding behind the laptop screen pretending to suffer along now and then. I really hope all this is just because it's our first year filing together and doesn't become an annual event. I wonder if anyone else paid 16K+ just in normal medical bills. Last year my taxes consisted of filling out 2 pages. StW says he's filled out as many as 58!
__________


Of course I spoke to the parents (I'd love to call them the 'rents, but I'm just not that cool) today. Oy. I ended up having to add a lot more stuff to my To Do list for next week. How anyone can put me in charge of anything is beyond me. Case in point: I logged in to try to make the rental car reservation today. In order to do so, I needed to check the exact flight times. March 19th, Chicago to Albany, A-OK. March 23rd, Albany to Chicago, OMG, I booked the flight for 5:40 AM instead of PM!!! In order to change it for the cost of JUST the penalty (instead of ALSO the cost of the increased fare) I had to exchange the tickets for late morning tickets instead of the desired evening tickets. Still, for such stupidity I suppose I got "off easy." So much for Travelocity and bargain hunting.
__________

I made a delicious banana bread yesterday using an old Slovenian recipe. It wasn't dense nor dry, no door stopper, this. It was moist and very banana-y and is all gone already. Everyone wants more, but I'm not sure I'll find bananas ripe enough. If I do, I'll make a few loaves, and try them with Splenda too, to take one to NY for my Dad. Mom will never change the way she cooks just because he's Diabetic. First of all, he's ignored his Diabetes for years anyway, second of all, she claims, even if she did change the way she cooks (and bakes!) he'd just head out to the local bakery/wherever and buy junk food (which, of course he would be doing just to annoy her.)

Today I'm making meatloaf...because my meatloaf is way better than Souperman's meatloaf. (Who puts chunky taco sauce in their meatloaf?!) It's kind of fun having two cooks in a household. The head chef -ahem- can pretty much decide whether or not she feels like cooking, and also knows which meals the short order cook makes better and/or cannot be trusted with. Wait, there's something wrong with the way head chef sounds. Let's make that master chef.

Bon Appetit, and I hope your Monday doesn't completely suck.

10 comments:

swamprad said...

You know I have a master's degree in Accounting -- and I wouldn't dream of trying to do my own taxes. Too stressful! I also hate booking flights online, though I usually do so. Takes too long, too stressful, too easy to screw up!

As much as I love cooking, it would be very nice indeed to have someone to cook with, or someone to cook when I don't feel like it.

Wissh said...

StW has the accountant do his business taxes but seems to prefer to do his personal taxes himself. He has a math brain too (bachelor's in physics, master's in structural engineering) and of course has to do lots of calculations as a structural engineer. I swear he does it either to exercise his brain or to cause himself aggravation. ; )

beadbrat said...

But if you'd taken the 540 am flight you'd have the whole day with your parents! LOL You'd be there for brunch!
Taxes. Don't go there. Hubby is still dragging his feet. Lucky thingthe gal who does our taxes saves the 15th for Ralph, though she keeps telling him she'll gladly do our taxes sooner! LOL

Wissh said...

No, it was 540 Sunday morning, cutting our trip short. It was supposed to be 540 in the evening, giving us another whole day. Oh well.

Angel-Miss Guided said...

Love banana bread. I use sour cream in mine and they come our so moist.
I hope your trip is as good as your last one.

S is doing so much better. We are all feeling better. It's all good. Chloe was suck a low key, quiet dog. When I walk in the door I really miss her wagging tail and her little smile.
Looking forward to C bringing little Cheeko for a visit.

You have a great trip.

Moves Mountains said...

I've seen the american tax return...no thank you..:)

Wow..I would be bankrupt. Our system may not be perfect, and it certainly is not free, but my cost to assist universal health care is way less than 16k.

Wissh said...

Thanks, Angel, would love to see your banana bread recipe.
I'm glad you're all doing better.

Wissh said...

T, it's been a banner year for me too. This year's return included hospitalizations, therapy and unbelievably expensive meds.

We definitely need a new health care system. Too bad all our $$ goes to the military.

On the other hand, a blogger I enjoy just lost his daughter-in-law to lung cancer. She leaves 2 small children too. I remember when he wrote she'd first been diagnosed then needed to wait MONTHS to see a doctor and start chemo. I knew then that she would die. (They are not in the US or Canada.) So socialized medicine isn't perfect either.

I'm not bankrupt, but I am in debt now and can't handle many years like that...of course here comes another college loan.

I had a fleeting moment (of insanity) and thought I should go see Hex while in NY, loan application in hand. But apparently I've come too far for a setback like that though. Fuggit.

swamprad said...

Hmmmm.... What do I know? I'm sure you know best. But I would love to take a stick after "Hex".

Wissh said...

Oh, well taking a stick after him is different. Thinking he'll fill out a loan application was insane. =)

BTW, yesterday was his birthday. I texted reminders to all three sons. Not one of them called him. I've ether raised the rudest kids on earth or he's getting returns on his investments.