Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Warmth and Drama

It was a wonderful, all too short weekend at my parents. I would never have been able to say that even a year ago. Now here we are, Dad with Alzheimer's and Mom just the garden variety nuts, yet for 4 days StW and I were enveloped in family. FAMILY. My brother and SIL came over twice, my nephew -my Godson- came once. My Dad still knew us. There were 2 new puppies -one to each family- to provide additional entertainment. Adrienne and Lucy came to visit. I even went out for coffee with Hex. Family and food and history, stories and memories and commiserating.

I think it surprised all of us. Mom has called since then just to thank us yet again for coming. To tell me the house feels empty now without me. Oh, and she did some sewing for me! I'm going to bring her all my favorite rags each visit now. No sense having a Bernina and need to be needed for no reason.


I wanted to blog it all while there but couldn't use my computer because they no longer have wireless. I thought I'd at least get it written once I got home on Sunday, while still basking in the glow -new to me- of family love and acceptance.

Instead, it was a horrific homecoming. (Not as bad as the plane that landed in the Hudson, while ours was merely diverted to Hartford, but everything's relative.) W picked us up at the airport and drove us home. D was here and the ugliest battle yet was waged, mostly in our driveway. There have been only nasty middle-of-the-night text messages from him since. There has been lots of angsting and gallons of tears ever since. Then today. Today I did what I never thought I could do, would do.

Tough Love, Baby. Maybe it will save his life someday. In the meantime, I doubt he hates me any more than he already did.

This seems an okay beginning, no? I hope to continue. Maybe I'll start the next entry with Hex's words of wisdom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that things aren't going so well with D. Hang in there. Your tough love isn't why he seems to hate you. If anything, he hates himself.

Solitaryman said...

I'm about a month behind in everything in my life. "Today I did what I never thought I could do, would do." What did you do???