Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who Is This Kid?

Yesterday evening the doorbell rang. I met the father of one of D's friends. His daughter is missing and he wanted a word with the boys to see if they had any ideas about where she might be, but first he wanted to talk with me. He said she'd been using c0caine, then went on to tell of the nightmare this has been for their family. This is the second time she has disappeared. She is a high school junior.

I met an unknown D when he came out to speak to this parent. He was polite, respectful and as helpful as he could be, considering he didn't know where she was. He offered to make phone calls to mutual friends and took the father's phone number, then followed through. It was a D I've heard rumors about from teachers and other authority figures, but one I didn't realize resided here on the premises. Though the circumstances were difficult, the feeling of pride in him was most welcome as it's been all too rare of late.


It didn't stop me from drug testing him later though. As my brother says, "I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night."

__________

I feel a bit of a blog site traitor, but the other site has changed and added too many of the bells and whistles of MySpace, Facebook, et al, perhaps to remain competitive. Plus, this allows me to start again, right where I left off, with a renewed sense of [faux] privacy, while still typing online and [eventually] inviting trusted readers to stop by.





7 comments:

beadbrat said...

Hello. So glad I do not have to join to comment! I would be too confused!

Well it is good that there is that D. And of course you are not meant to see him that way. You might be able to breath easy, then! LOL

beadbrat said...

Ha! I guess I am already joined with google, LOL

Wissh said...

Welcome. Thanks for your offer of airport pick up. I do intend to see you during one of my visits, maybe meet half way? But flying into your home state would add a lot of travel time from there to "home," and with limited weekend time to visit the 'rents, I think I need to fly into the original upstate airport we've been flying into for years and just rent a car there. (I don't even dare have them drive to pick me up at the airport.)

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know I've stopped by. Thankfully I was able to join with my same name.

Wissh said...

Welcome, Francine. Hey, I wanted to tell you, In Treatment (whole episodes) are On Demand.

beadbrat said...

I will meet you more than halfway if necessary, just not in lots of snow, LOL... I understand about the time thing, but the offer holds if you need to take me up on it at any time... is the upstate airport close? We have a couple small ones that might not be too bad, if you can fly in the puddle jumpers... LOL

pet70 said...

The true measure of how well you've done your parenting is how well your child responds to others in need. D rose to the challenge. What you saw was the adult he is becoming, but it's not "cool" to be that way in front of his peers so her persists in the childish rebellious behavior. It will pass. One day he will say at family gatherings, "oh, the things I used to do to my mom.. it's a wonder she didn't send me to an orphanage and swear I wasn't hers, or give ma a Mafia burial (dump me in the river with chains and weights around my ankles)." :-)