Happy Leap Year!
It's a work from home day as I'll be on call for the next three days, including Monday in the office. I have noted from other work from home days, that unlike my husband, I could never actually have a job working from home. I don't have the self discipline. I distract myself constantly and start and stop numerous projects at once. So much for Ritalin while at home (though it does work to quiet the noise). I guess I just need the structure of the work environment to maintain focus. With B and I both working from home, our goal today was to get all our work-work done by noon so we can run some errands and accomplish some non work-work (chores) this afternoon. Sounds like a fun day, no?
W drove up to our neck of the woods yesterday for a dentist appointment and called me at the office while he was here. As there was no way his car would be okay in our icy driveway, (and hey, more snow last night!) let alone his wheelchair, I asked if he'd like to grab a late lunch/early dinner with me. So he drove over to the office and got a table at the local Pancake House type of place and I walked over to meet him after I decided I'd had enough fun (and no more patients) at the office. (He is not happy with his brothers for the state of our driveway.)
We haven't seen much of each other this winter, he's been busy with school and his life, I've been busy working and with whatever all constitutes busy to me. We've spoken on the phone, but as I mentioned earlier, not too often. Seeing him was great, and assuaged any concerns, and confirmed my theory that men (at least in my life) just take about 30-some years to grow up. It was a really great, adult visit over the course of 2 hours. I updated him on his grandparents and he updated me on his PopPop (on his Dad's side). There was some laughter and a couple of tears. W has already lost one grandparent to Alzheimer's so I think it was hard for him to hear more about his Opa, though some of his (Dad's) more eccentric behaviors of late make more sense to him (and me) now. Of course we chatted about the rest of the family and school and friends and MySpace. (But not my space.)
Speaking of Dad, we had another nice chat on the phone today. He remembered our conversation from the other day, and even though I had gotten his official last date of work from his former employer, he actually remembered it himself. He also asked if we were still coming on the 19th and seemed to think meeting with his attorney would be a good idea. I'm not sure Mom mentioned that to him already. He was happy for the update on W and is planning to come for D's high school graduation. (We're all assuming he'll actually graduate, of course.)
One of our errands this afternoon will be a stop at the book store to pick up the assigned books. Reading them won't be nearly as challenging as absorbing them....then living them.
But I'm A Work in progress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
My older daughter is like W... in general she calls every two weeks, and I am content with that--I can never reach her so she has to call me, usually on her way home from work. I'm grateful she calls, and we usually have a lot to talk about when she does. V is now gone most of the time also, bit by bit I"m getting used to that.
As for working at home, it is very easy to get distracted especially when you don't enjoy what you're doing. I have trouble with that from time to time with my employer-- some of the spreadsheets I have to work on are incredibly tedious and I can hardly stay still awake, let alone in the chair long enough to get anything done. But put me in front of web design and I will stay there for hours, because I love doing that kind of work. If you love what you do, working from home is not a problem. Just so long as those who live in that home with you understand that you ARE working and they should not be demanding things of you during that time--not an issue for me. It's not really about self-discipline so much as it is love of the work you do.
Sometimes I worry that I'm coming down with Alzheimer's because I'm not the psycho bitch I used to be. But then I reassure myself that that was just menopause.
I'm good for working from home about one day a week. More than that and the lines begin to blur and I bake bread, garden, clean. . .forget all about working.
BTW, you can get rid of the captcha feature but you will be swamped with comment spam if you do.
Actually, recent news articles refer to "Adultecence"..referring to those kids who don't leave the nest until their late 20's. And to boot, they are discovering that the male frontal lobes don't close until about 25..:) And I am sitting here thinking about selling my house and purchasing a bigger one to accomodate my son, my daughter and her partner, until she finishes school. It's nice to hear that sometime, we will be able to have adult conversations..thanks for that info!
I received a few new books for my birthday, and although it is recommended by Oprah..*G* ..it is a good book. The Power of Now, it helps explain in laymen's terms the "Self" how to just "be" and to live in the 'moment'. It may help you in dealing with the 'rents.
Not only is it light out..the only thing I can thank G W Bush for, is the new calander for daylight savings..time change next weekend!!!!
Somehow I missed this entire day of comments. First I insisted you have to come back to read my comments to your comments, then I ignore you!
Pet, I've already known for years you've done an exceptional job with your girls. I'm sure you're right about working from home too. I do it so infrequently though that I use the entire time to goof off like I had a day off just for that purpose.
Molly, having never been a psycho bitch, I can't relate. ; )
MM, the key is to get a smaller, not larger place. (Not that I would know, but in my fantasies that would encourage them to MOVE OUT!)
I'll check out the book. I'm still on Codependent No More.
Post a Comment